Saturday 25 April 2020

PAPA THE GREAT

z

Saturday, 18th April 2020, around 10:30 am


Anshuman looked at the workaholic seated to his left. As always, Gulshan's eyes were glued to his laptop monitor. It was almost as if he was expecting a gargoyle to jump out of the screen and pounce on him if he ever blinked. His fingers danced on the keyboard like an overenthusiastic Varun Dhawan in ABCD.

Anshuman was bemused, "Wasn't today supposed to be a holiday?"

"It's the third Saturday of the month", Gulshan admonished him, "Are you sure you've been a banker for nearly five years?"

"Where's your sense of humour?"

"Where's YOUR sense of duty?"

"Gullu...Ullu", Anshuman chided Gulshan; but he seemed to have switched off from the conversation already.

Just then, Anshuman's mobile phone rang. Neha Kakkar's "Garmi" as a ringtone would have made anyone else go red in the face in embarrassment - but Anshuman was made of a different timber.

The number seemed a tad familiar, "Hello?"

"How're you Nalaayak?" The voice sounded familiar too.

"Govind Kaka?" Anshuman asked in an irritated tone.

"It's your father, Nalaayak! You don't recognize your own father's voice?"

"I was joking Papa", Anshuman bit his tongue, "How are you?"

"Nevermind the formalities...what are these things that have I been hearing about you?"

"About me? Please don't believe her! She's lying!"

"Who's lying? What are you talking about Nalaayak?"

"No nothing, Papa! I was talking to my colleague", Anshuman bit his tongue again.

"No nothing, Papa! I was talking to my colleague", Anshuman bit his tongue again. "What did you hear about me Papa?"

"One of the elders of your neighbourhood told me you set off some fireworks inside your house on 5th April...Is this true?"

"But it was supposed to be a light show Papa."

"I get that...but why didn't you share this idea with me earlier?"


Idiosyncrasies of a Covidiot

All episodes so far 

Episode 01 - Aaho-Choo Story

Episode 02 Bus-Ted 

Episode 03 Bohemian Clapsody 

Episode 04 - Departmental Chor 

Episode 05 - Exceptionally Coarse 

Episode 06 - Fruits & Nuts 

Episode 07 - Gross Spread

Episode 08 - Helping Hands

Episode 09 - I Want to Break Free

Episode 10 - Jamboree

Episode 11 - Keep Safe Distance

Episode 12 - Let There Be Light

Episode 13 - Musical Masti

Episode 14 - Night Riders

Episode 15 - Order Order

Episode 16 - Papa the Great

Episode 17 - Quarantine

4 comments:

  1. This was an interesting piece. But, I guess I have to begin with episode 1...and will love to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wonder is his Papa is just like him too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha if Anshuman is like this then his dad must be even worse funda looks like!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...the best one till date :)

    ReplyDelete

Type out your comment in the box above and click 'Publish'. You can use your Gmail credentials, alternatively, you could also post comments by keying in your name and the url of your website